Friday, February 1, 2013

starting school

Here they are, all ready to start school.

Lizzy, beginning year 9, wondering if she will make friends in her electives, looking forward to subjects like Design and Food Tech, already missing the holidays, learning what it means to be a Christian, ready to live for Jesus at school.

Ben, starting secondary school, a little apprehensive about making friends and migraines (he got one half-way through the first day of school), but "energised" (his word) by the thought of this brave new world where he gets to study science, history and geography.

Thomas, all set for grade 4, looking forward to having his best friend in his class again, constantly surprising me with his affectionate, considerate, helpful nature.

Andy, heading into grade 1, so cute with those two front teeth missing, facing school with his special brand of independence, determination, thoughtfulness, and friendliness.

I love the various stages of our children's lives. I'm enjoying (though a little exhausted by!) the in-depth 10 o'clock chats with adolescents, and the way their minds are unfolding and their faith growing. I revel in the cuddles and morning nestling of the little ones, knowing they will grow up all too soon.

We make our way through worries and tantrums and whinging and arguments. We face sickness and doubts and rebellion and repentance. We teach the Bible and try to model godliness (and often model complaining and grumpiness instead) and pray, pray, pray for our children - so many prayers!

They are growing, and they are growing well. And for that I give thanks.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well written, Jean! I love it.
What a great photo! They're all smiling in a way that shows some of their personality.
Hey, I just had a random thought... do you think we could request for Thomas to be Hudson's buddy in 2 years time? :) I reckon they'd both love that.

Jean said...

Yes, you can request buddies; yes, that's a great idea; and yes, Thomas tells me he would love to do that!

Meredith said...

Thank you for sharing your cherubs with us. They are all gorgeous. This is really a golden time of life, isn't it.

Leslie said...

Good Morning from Indiana, USA.

I am new to your blog and I want to let you know that I really appreciate this post.

My kids are 18 (twins) and at the end of their high school years.

When I read your words:
" I'm enjoying (though a little exhausted by!) the in-depth 10 o'clock chats with adolescents, and the way their minds are unfolding and their faith growing."
I was reminded again that I need to cherish this time and eagerly participate in those later-night talks.

Thank you for your openness!
Leslie